When you’re responsible for hosting 50 people for a pizza party, you need to plan everything, so the event goes smoothly. It’s important to consider several factors and decide the right quantity of pizza you’ll need for the event.
Determining the right amount of pizza for an event can seem daunting, but it’s not. All you need is some planning and calculation to cater to 50 people.
No need to worry because we have covered everything in this article and more information to make planning the pizza party a breeze for you. Let’s begin with this detailed math.
- 1 How many Pizzas to Order for 50? A Quick Answer.
- 2 Getting into the Math of Pizza Serving Per Person!
- 3 How to Calculate the Right Number of Pizzas and pizza Slices for a Party?
- 4 What do you need to Consider before Ordering Pizza for 50 Guests?
- 5 What Types of Pizzas are the Best to Serve for a Group of 50?
- 6 How Should you order Pizza for a Group of 50?
- 7 FAQs
- 8 Final Thoughts
How many Pizzas to Order for 50? A Quick Answer.
To serve 50 people (adults)
- Get 25 pizzas of small size (10 inches) for each pizza that will feed 2 persons. You should cut each pizza into 4, 6, 8, or 12 slices.
- Order 15-17 pizzas of medium size (12 inches) for each pizza that will feed 3 persons. You should cut each pizza into 6 or 12 slices.
- Have 12-13 large pizzas of 14 inches each pizza will feed 4 persons. You should cut each pizza into 4, 8 or 12 slices.
- Get 10 pizzas of 16 inches extra large size for each pizza will feed 5 persons. You should cut each pizza into 10 slices.
- Arrange 6-7 pizzas of 18 inches extra large size for each pizza will feed 8 persons. You should cut each pizza into 16 slices.
- Consider ordering 6-7 pizzas of 20 inches extra large size for each pizza that will feed 8 persons. You should cut each pizza into 16 slices.
However, there are other factors you need to consider first, including the total number of guests, the average serving size, the variety of pizzas available, the average cost, your budget, and the best way to order pizza for a party.
Getting into the Math of Pizza Serving Per Person!
As a rule of thumb, each adult should eat 39 square inches of pizza when you have arranged no or few pizza sides and 26 square inches of pizza when you won’t serve any pizza side.
Likewise, each kid will eat about 26 square inches of pizza with few or no side dishes.
Similarly, for a mixed gathering of females and males, you can consider anywhere 39 square inches of pizza to be safer because it’s better to have some leftovers than to run short of food.
If we do some math, here are the square inches you get with each pizza size.
- A small pizza of 10 inches has 78 square inches for feeding 2
- Medium pizza of 12 inches has 113 square inches for feeding 3
- A large pizza of 14 inches has 154 square inches for feeding 4
- An extra large pizza of 16 inches has 201 square inches for feeding 5
- An extra large pizza of 18 inches has 254 square inches for feeding 6.5 or (7)
- An extra large pizza of 20 inches has 314 square inches of feeding 8
So cut the pizzas into slices to distribute them evenly among the number of guests. Among all pizza sizes, large pizzas of 14 inches and extra large pizzas of 20 inches are money savers. While extra-large pizzas of 16-18 are better not to be ordered for their inadequacy.
How to Calculate the Right Number of Pizzas and pizza Slices for a Party?
Not having enough pizza for your guests can leave you in awkward situations, like people fighting over the last slices or kids crying for not getting their share. At the same time, you don’t want to waste money and go over your budget by ordering too much.
To save you, below we’ve done the pizza number and slice calculations keeping per head square inches pizza needs in view.
How many pizzas should you order for 50?
Here are detailed maths outlined for you. Use the Number of guests to multiply the formula to make a correct calculation.
- To order the small pizza of 10 inches cut into 6 slices:
p = 3a/6; hence 1 pizza for 2 and 25 for 50.
- To order a medium pizza of 12 inches cut into 8 slices:
p = 3a/8; hence 1 pizza for 3 and 17 for 50.
- To order large pizzas of 14 inches cut into 10 slices:
p = 2.5a/10, hence 1 pizza for 4 and 13 for 50.
- For ordering extra large pizzas of 16 inches cut into 10 slices:
p = 2a/10; hence 1 pizza for 5 and 10 for 50.
- To order extra large pizzas of 18 inches cut into 16 slices:
p = 2a/16; hence 1 pizza for 6 and 8 for 50. (Please, don’t order this size).
- To order extra large pizzas of 20 inches cut into 16 slices:
p = 2a/16; hence 1 pizza for 8 and 6-7 for 50. (Don’t order this size).
How many pizzas should you order for 50 kids?
To order pizza for kids, follow the formula:
- To order a small pizza of 10 inches cut into 8 slices
p = 3 X a/8; hence 1 pizza for 3 kids and 17 pizzas for 50
- To order a medium pizza of 12 inches cut into 8 slices
p = 2 X a/8; hence 1 pizza for 4 kids and 13 pizzas for 50
- To order large pizzas of 14 inches cut into 12 slices
p = 2 X a/12; hence, 8 pizzas for 50
- To order large pizzas of 16 inches cut into 16 slices
p = 2 X a/16; hence, 6 pizzas for 50
- To order large pizzas of 18 inches cut into 10 slices
p = 1 X a/10; hence, 5 pizzas for 50
- To order extra large pizzas of 20 inches cut into 16 slices to order would be
p = 1.25 X a/16; hence, 1 pizza for 12 kiddos: and 4 pizzas for 50 kids
Here is a quick breakdown of how many pizzas you should get for adults or kids.
|For 50 Adults||For 50 Kids (mixed age)|
|Small pizza of 10 inches||25||17|
|Medium pizza of 12 inches||13||10|
|Large pizza of 14 inches||12||8-9|
|Extra large Pizza of 16 inches||10||6|
|Extra large Pizza of 18 inches||8||5|
|Extra large pizza of 20 inches||6-7||5|
- It’s advisable to order only large-size pizzas if you’re serving kids and avoid 16, 18, or 20 inches pizzas because it can cost you an extra pizza to distribute them evenly.
- Also, don’t order 16 or 18 inches pizzas for adults.
- If there will be few or no side dishes, then you should order 2-3 extra pizzas for your group of 50–add 2 pizzas if you’re ordering 20 inches pizzas or 3 pizzas more if you’re getting 12-14 inches pizzas.
- In case you have many sides, please don’t reduce the number of pizzas, for it can put you in an awkward situation.
How many slices should each pizza have to feed 50?
So, keeping the above calculations in view, you’ll need to get each pizza sliced according to the table below so that you may divide them amazon your guests without wasting a slice.
|Pizza size||Slices per pizza for serving adults||Slices per pizza for serving kids|
Always confirm before ordering, as the number of slices can change from place to place. Yet you should get your pizza cut according to the table for pizzerias and accept such alteration for customers’ convenience.
What do you need to Consider before Ordering Pizza for 50 Guests?
We’ve already discussed the general formula to know how many pizzas you need to host 50 people. However, there are certain factors that you need to look at before making a final decision—here are a few general points to care about
- Look at the age and appetite of your guests.
- Ask and inquire if anyone has any dietary restrictions.
- Get feedback and ask how many slices they want to eat and what toppings they prefer.
Inquiring directly from your guests can solve the guessing game in seconds. But we understand that not everyone likes to ask questions from guests, and not all guests are bold enough to tell you they would like to eat a whole medium pizza.
The appetite of guests
Not everyone has a similar appetite. Kids don’t eat as much as adults; girls prefer to eat less than boys. If elderly people are coming to your party, they might have concerns about junk food and want to eat something else.
Yet, don’t underestimate the appetite of kids. They might have less appetite, but they can stuff their mouths, especially when they see pizza in front of them. We recommend arranging a separate bar for kids.
So, follow the rule of 39 sq inches of pizza for adults and 26 sq inches for kids.
List pizza party sides.
Even when the party is called a pizza party, there might be other items you want to include for your guests, such as lasagna, fries, nuggets, patties, or maybe cold drinks only. Whatever you decide to serve along with pizza can change the number of pizzas you need.
If you’re serving snacks like nuggets and chips, your guests will eat those as well. Thus, ultimately it’ll reduce the total number of pizzas. You don’t need to order extra pie.
However, if you’re only serving drinks with pizza, do consider ordering extra pizza to err on the side of caution.
Be mindful about your budget.
The last but most important thing to consider is your budget. We understand you want to serve your guests the best, but don’t break the bank in that process. Serving 50 people together is tricky; you must learn money-saving skills and play smart.
Buy from brands famous for serving delicious pizza but are also budget-friendly.
Moreover, search the internet and look for active deals. You can visit the branch and inquire about special packages for large orders.
Also, avoid delivery and pick up your order to save on charges. The more pizzas you order, the more delivery charges will add up.
What Types of Pizzas are the Best to Serve for a Group of 50?
There are 4 types of pizza you can choose from:
Classic pizza options
For a casual or formal event, go for classic pizza options that are universally appealing and liked by everyone. Classic pizzas include Pepperoni, Mushrooms, Chicken, Supreme, Hawaiian, and meat lovers.
Specialty pizza options
You can order Margherita, BBQ chicken, Mediterranean, Four Cheese, and white pizza for a formal event.
Vegan pizza options:
It’s always better to have vegan options at a pizza party, as guests may only eat vegetarian or want to eat vegan food. You can choose Vegan Delights, Margherita with Vegan cheese, Grilled Vegetables, Mushrooms, and Onion for vegetarians.
To complete your menu, add one or two gluten-free options. You can choose Pepperoni and Margherita with a gluten-free crust.
How Should you order Pizza for a Group of 50?
Once you decide on the number of pizzas you need, contact or visit the pizza branch and specify the details to avoid last-minute mishaps. Also, discuss the delivery option during your visit.
Online ordering options
If you can’t visit the place yourself, have a call and explain your requirements. You can order online and ask them to deliver at the time of the party.
The best way is to go for a catering service so everyone can enjoy fresh and hot pizza on the spot. This will also reduce the stress and work of picking up the pizza from the shop and keeping it hot for the guests.
In-store pick-up options
If you’re tight on budget, forget about catering service and delivery options and pick up your order yourself. However, prepare some hot bags to keep the pizza hot from the pizza shop to home.
A few bonus tips for hosting a pizza party for 50
You can make your pizza party highly successful for such a large group by following these few bonus tips:
- If you’re ordering pizza for a kid’s sports event, cut it into small slices and ask for extra toppings so they can eat to their fullest after a hard and fun sports day.
- If it’s a formal event for the office and you’ve been given the responsibility, then act wisely and order pizza from a well-known pizza chain like Pizza Hut. You can ask pizza providers to set up a pizza bar or provide catering service so your guests can eat fresh and hot pizza.
- Always care for your guests’ health and ask about allergies and diet preferences.
By keeping these small details in view, we hope you’ll host a party that everyone remembers positively.
Is it better to get 2 medium pizzas or 1 large?
If the price of 2 medium pizzas is the same as a large pizza, then it is better to get 2 medium pizzas. A large pizza usually has 12 to 14 slices, whereas 2 medium pizzas will give you 16 slices.
Is it better to order individual or large pizzas to feed 50 people?
Whether to order large or individual pizzas depends on your budget and where you’re purchasing the pizza. If the price difference between medium and large pizzas is insignificant, ordering extra large pizzas of 20 inches for feeding 50 people is more cost-effective. But, avoid 16 or 18 inches pizzas, for they put you at risk of breaking the bank.
Should you order gluten-free pizza for a large group?
While gluten-free pizza may be a healthier option, it may not be the best choice for a large group, as many people attend events to enjoy the traditional taste of pizza, and gluten-free pizzas don’t taste great. However, it is a good idea to have one or two gluten-free pizzas of medium size available for those with dietary restrictions, such as gluten intolerance or diabetes.
What is the average cost per pizza for a group of 50 people?
The cost can vary depending on location, but on average, a medium pizza can cost anywhere from $10 to $15 per pizza. Thus, by ordering 12 pizzas of 14 inches or 6 pizzas of 20 inches, you’ll spend about $180-
What is the best size of pizza to order?
For a party, a large pizza is, undoubtedly, the best size. It’s because it is a cost-effective option, especially when ordering more than 5 pizzas. You should, however, only go for 14 or 20 inches pizzas if you want to avoid too much leftover and wasting money.
For more details, you can have insight into the deep calculations we’ve done previously in this article.
Ordering pizza for a party is easy if you know the exact number of guests. Make sure everyone has enough food to eat, but also minimize waste and plan what you will do with the leftovers.
All in all, these are just suggestions considering the general guideline of 3 to 4 slices per person. You can always add or subtract one or two pizzas based on your guests’ preferences and budgets.
Ultimately, the best choice would depend on your specific needs and preferences for the event. It’s always a good idea to research and compare prices and services to make the best decision.
mama-cucina.com is a participant in the Amazon Associate program and will earn from qualifying purchases.